Image: Vogue, Photographed by Claiborne Swanson Frank
The room above in Minnie Mortimer’s home beautifully does double duty as a library and a dining room. The choice was practical (too many books, not enough storage), as well as aesthetic (a wall of books is beautiful!). You can get a similar look by lining your walls in floor to ceiling bookshelves, and using the items below.
- The soft glow of capiz shells make this room cozy at night.
- You’ll need books for this look, obviously. Lots of them. It’s best if you happen to have a big book collection already, but can you believe there exists a service that sells books solely as decoration? (Of course this exists, right?)
- Search out a vintage enamelware pitcher to use as a casual vase with a nice patina. Bonus points for peonies.
- Railings is the perfect paint color to achieve this look.
- A solid, substantial vintage or antique wooden table is right at home in both a library and a dining room.
- The Saarinen Tulip chair is still in production, with chair pads available in several colors. You can readily find vintage originals as well.
Which elements of Minnie Mortimer’s Library / Dining Room are your favorites?