7 Ways to Display Your Hobbies
Image: Caitlin Royce
I’ve played the cello since I was a kid. Because it is such a large-scaled instrument, the design conundrum has always been: do I show it off or pack it away? Sometimes for the safety and care of the instrument, it’s best to keep it out of sight. On the other hand, for easy access and showcasing its beauty, you just want keep it out! This same philosophy applies to a number of hobbies, especially ones that require objects so large you can’t put them on a shelf or in a closet. So why not make it a part of your home? Here’s how:
- Guitars. Luckily, there are a number of ways to display your guitar in your home with some clever storage ideas. One of my favorites is to display it on a wall using a hook, see above. It’s a great conversation starter and you can easily pick it up for campfire-type gatherings.
Image: SF Girl by Bay
- Surfboards. Though surfboards that are used daily often are sandy and covered in wax, it’s nice to pay homage to your hobby with a more artistic piece like the beautiful wooden board below. Displayed vertically against a wall, it instantly becomes a piece of art.
Image: Design Aggregator
- Bikes. Bikes can be hard. Left outside you run the risk of it being stolen, so you want to bring it inside without scuffing up the floors. There are a number of beautiful and clever bike holders like this wooden one that allows you to prop your bike up against a wall.
- Skateboards. Once again, displaying skateboards on a wall (either an artistic or practical one) draws attention to your hobby while also providing a convenient storage tool.
- Violins. More decorative musical instruments like these beautiful violins add to the wall art that’s already displayed.
- Pianos. A piano is one instrument that takes on a more furniture-type role because of its size and shape. If you’re worried about it blending it into your environment, take the time to find the right piece. There are a variety of pianos that will fit every style. Or, you can do as this person did and paint it yourself!
- Tennis racquets. Rather than simply display vintage-style tennis racquets, turn them into mirrors for a practical and decorative addition to your room.
How can you display your hobbies?