One my very best vintage finds was a pair of velvet upholstered ottomans. I pulled them out of a storage unit at an estate sale and couldn't believe my eyes. How had nobody claimed these?! I scooped them up into the back of my car and drove away smiling. I still think about those ottomans. I shouldn't have sold them, but when moving across the country, they just wouldn't fit into the moving truck. My loss was someone else's gain and there are plenty more ottomans to score in this lifetime. Click through to see why ottomans are one of the most versatile pieces of furniture you can buy, tips for styling them in your home, and a giant roundup of my favorites.
If you're wondering where an ottoman might live in your home, here's a GIANT list of places you can style one or two:
- Tucked under a coffee table
- Tucked under a console table
- Used as a side table
- Used in the kid's room or nursery
- Used in place of a coffee table
- Place a pair at the foot of the bed
- Used as a storage ottoman behind the sofa
- Used in a guest room (a great place to sit luggage or additional bags)
- Used in an office (another great place to drop supplies, paperwork, a tote, or prop your feet)
- Positioned in an entryway
- To fill negative space at the end of a hallway
Is your mind blown? Contrary to popular belief, you can pretty much put an ottoman anywhere!
Browse a bunch of my favorites below! I tried to break them down by style, size, and material...
poufs - 01 // 02 // 03 | leather - 04 / 05 / 06 | plush - 07 / 08 / 09 | x-base - 10 / 11 / 12 | brass legs - 13 / 14 / 15 | chrome legs - 16 / 17 / 18 | storage - 19 / 20 / 21 | oversized - 22 // 23 // 24
Do you have favorites from the roundup? I'm seriously considering swapping our coffee table for #22. I'm also digging #11 and #7.
To wrap things up... I have a question- how many ottomans do you own? I'm pretty sure I have at least 3. They just go with everything and can live in every room! They're the one piece of furniture I can justify hanging onto.