I don’t consider myself an artist – I feel much more comfortable labeling myself as a designer.Yet I love to wear my “artist hat” on occasion to create art for my walls! I live in a large studio apartment with concrete floors and a lot of wall space. Given that I love DIY home décor and that I am intimidated by drawing and painting, abstract art is right up my alley.
There’s really no official definition for “abstract art” when it comes to DIY projects. In the art world, abstract expressionism began in the 1940s and 50s and was all about achieving imagery that sends its message through shapes, forms, colors and textures. When you look at a piece of abstract art, you don’t necessary “see” anything right away. Interpreting the composition of an abstract painting can take some time and thought.
I’ve always loved abstract art – Mark Rothko is one of my favorite painters of all time. Many different pieces of abstract art inspire me, and I’ve always wanted a large collection on my wall. If you are like me, the good news is that you can achieve the look with the help of a few tutorials. When it comes to DIYing it, I find the entire process to be fun and exciting. You just grab paint, a canvas and a brush and get started! Alternative methods use paper, gilding and even wax.
Are you ready to make your own abstract art? Here are ten ideas that inspired me, and I’d love to give any of these a try:
Images: (1) Oh Happy Day, (2) Promise Tangeman, (3) Pan & Tea, (4) Now at Home Mom, (5) Literally Inspired
- How to make abstract art at Oh Happy Day
- DIY abstract art for photo lovers at Promise Tangeman
- Stole the shine at Pan & Tea
- DIY gold leaf wall art at Now At Home Mom
- Abstract art with petroleum jelly at Literally Inspired
Images: (6) Love From Ginger, (7) Dans le Townhouse, (8) Twinkle and Twine, (9) Centsational Girl, (10) AM Dolce Vida
- Abstract art painting DIY at Love From Ginger
- Simple but striking DIY painting at Dans le Townhouse
- DIY abstract wall art at Twinkle and Twine
- Making digital abstract art at Centsational Girl
- Foyer DIY abstract art at AM Dolce Vida
Have you ever tried to make a piece of abstract art? Which one of the above styles would you try? Let me know in the comments below!