8 Beautiful Christmas Stockings that Dazzle the Mantle
Stockings are one of my favorite traditions of Christmas. Not only are they little and cute, but they remind me of the long history of the holiday. The tradition started when children would hang up their everyday stockings in hopes that Father Christmas would leave some small gifts. Overtime the stockings turned into a special stocking that, which is what we have today.
I like my stockings to feel current and to fit into the décor of my house. Since I’ve lived in a lot of places, my collection has grown to about 10. One of my favorite memories was missing an afternoon of school to meet Mary Englebreit at the local mall and getting her to sign my Christmas stockings. I’ll never forget it! Here’s a collection of some of my favorites right now to inspire your mantle.
- Old-fashioned stockings. Recreate an old-fashioned stocking in the shape of a boot or ballerina.
- Holly and berries. Add some felt holly and berries onto a simple white stocking for a festive flair.
- Beaded stocking. Beaded adornments are coming en vogue again. Get ahead of the trend with this one.
- Scandinavian stockings. Print your favorite Scandinavian designs onto fabric for a unique look.
- Turn of the century shoes. Design your stocking in the shape of a favorite silhouette like this old-fashioned boot. Add plenty of embellishments.
- Knitted. These classic sweater designed stockings are perfectly festive.
- Printed animals. Simple is the name of the game for these black and white Scandinavian stockings animals.
- Add some felt balls to the tops of some brightly colored stockings and hang them from a fun hook.
Do you have a large collection of stockings from over the years or are you a one- stocking type? What’s your favorite one?