16 Ways to Add Tartan Wools into Your Home
Last week I attended a vintage market and came across a few red tartan blankets for sale. I did not even hesitate to buy one. To me, nothing spells c-o-z-y more than a rich, wool tartan blanket. It’s a bit holiday, a bit vintage, and a bit British. It’s perfect.
Tartan, which is of Scottish descent, is traditionally a woven wool consisting of colored stripes of varying widths crossed at right angles against a solid background. Today, designers have added a modern touch making them a perfect addition to a modern and cozy room.
Tartans can be used in a variety of ways. Here are some of my favorites.
- This tartan sofa is an abstracted version of a traditional pattern created by enlarging the widths of the weaves.
- Rather than apply the pattern onto a traditional frame, this beautifully colored tartan is set on an ultra modern sofa.
- A more traditional color palette is set on an English settee.
- This subdued tartan is the perfect vehicle for adding an authentic English feel.
- This Vivienne Westood tartan rug from Rug Company is the perfect old vs. new design. The color palette is so fresh.
- This wall-to-wall rug beautifully creates a cohesive feel to this modern yet antique room.
- This enlarged tartan rug in a blue/orange complementary scheme looks mid-century modern rather than distinctly English.
- This is one of my favorites. The modernized tartan has a single repeat and plays on a number of colors to create a funky version of the traditional pattern.
- While sofas and rugs might be a big commitment, chairs are a simpler way to add in tartan. This one is modernized by only covering the back of the chair.
- This is a more traditional take on the tartan in the familiar red color on an expected style.
- This tartan-clad Saarinen is an unexpected choice.
- This magenta colored armchair adds in the perfect amount of freshness to a traditional pattern.
- Tartan can be applied in many other ways like these roman shades in a traditional red pattern.
- A modernized tartan pillow is the perfect way to add in a dash of the pattern.
- To me, this is the ultimate definition of holiday coziness. Raging fire, stacked wood, a touch of tartan. Perfection.
- Tartan blankets used as picnic blankets are a good stash to always have on board.
Alright, dish! Do you love tartan as much as I do?!